Pin the tail on the Blogger
One of the B-grade punditocracy’s favorite pastimes is trying to guess the identity of Mr. Atrios Smith. If you scroll down to the bottom of his blog
there is a new addition that may shed light on this. Is he outing himself?
So let’s play the game. Here are a few facts that have been revealed or confirmed by Atrios over the past few years:
- lives in Philadelphia, PA.
- moved in 2002 from Orange County, CA.
- is a “He”.
- owned cats at one time and may still.
- is married to Mrs. Atrios whose last name is presumed by telemarketers to be of Asian extraction.
- likes the British versions of Harry Potter books.
- is not a teetotaler.
- owns a grey turtleneck.
- works in education
- is known by his real name to the FEC.
- has several blogger friends who have met him personally.
- has been accused of being Sidney Blumenthal and Gene Lyons among others.
- attended Juliefest.
- spent the summer of ’03 in Spain.
- Is around 6’ tall.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I think I know Atrios’ legal name, but I’m not telling. Paypal had a glitch years back that revealed the name on the bank account of a transfer recipient when I sent him a few buck for his “liquor fund”. All I can say is that a quick google search led me to a suspect.
Eventually Atrios will reveal himself. There really is no way that someone who has become so influential in the newly emerging cyber-media can remain behind the curtain forever. My only question is will he keep the name Atrios, or will he constantly be introduced as “[X], the Blogger Formerly Known As Atrios.”
From the flaming debates on the old usenet groups following the Florida 2000 debacle, through some of the lefty message boards (MWO mostly) and for the past two years at Eschaton we’ve watched his skills improve exponentially. And now, with his radio chops and 40,000+ hits a day, I have no doubt that he will be one of the leading voices in the Democratic Party’s rebirth.
At least we will be able to say we knew him when.
Leave your guess in the comments.